In recent years, leading companies have looked to integrate digital voice models into their customer service. By doing this, they are making customer service calls time efficient while also eliminating up to 40 percent of FTEs in their call centers. Emerging technologies can also cause an additional 20 percent cut of live agents working in call centers, reducing FTEs by a total of 60 percent. They do this by applying Robotic Process Automation (RPA) technology. Not only have large companies been using RPA technology to improve their call centers, but they have also used the technology help eliminate to approximately 40 percent of FTEs currently positioned in their finance and accounting sectors. Most people would argue that cutting FTEs by 60 and 40 percent in just two sectors of a large company is quite unethical. Although these companies are literally replacing humans with robots, they have figured out an advanced way to save millions while making their services and work more efficient.
In my opinion, talking to an automated voice on a customer service call always makes me somewhat uneasy. Talking to a “real person” makes me feel much more secure and comfortable, but the technology backing RPA makes digital models promising replacements that could eventually completely overtake human call centers. Offshore finance and accounting sectors have been handled the same way. The remainder of the more skilled jobs are usually brought onshore because of the skillset needed to perform more intricate tasks. In turn, hiring becomes easier for these large companies because of the offshore to onshore shift. I find this whole idea of replacing the unskilled workers with RPA technology to be extremely innovative. Another reason I find this to be a great concept is because these large companies are helping stimulate the American economy by creating more jobs in the United States.
I deal with PayPal quite often because I do a good amount of business transactions through them, and I noticed their use of RPA technology about 2 years ago. Before then, I would call and wait about 5-10 minutes just to have someone pick up, identify my need, and transfer me to a specialist. The wait in between transfers would be another 10-15 minutes. Now when I call PayPal, an automated robotic voice answers immediately, asks me to confirm my account, and can accurately identify my problem with just a couple of words. The transfer time is still around 10-15 minutes, but if the wait is projected to be longer than expected, the automated voice gives me the option to wait for a call back from a specialist, which is much more convenient than holding a phone up to my ear for 15 minutes. Although talking to an automated voice can be frustrating at times, it works more efficient than actual workers because of the accurate and fast processing speed and the limitless amount automated robots working at once.
Read more at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterbendorsamuel/2017/02/15/digital-models-change-the-location-of-call-center-and-financeaccounting-work/2/#45c4cee31ca2